With all of the concerns about data security, do enterprises need to make sure their unified communications (UC) platforms are locked down securely?
Ask the expert
Do you have a question for Carrie Higbie or any of our other experts? Ask your enterprise-specific questions today! (All questions are treated anonymously.)
Yes. Any data, ingress or egress (that is, going in or out) from a network should be properly secured. This includes your unified communications platform. Having a secure communications platform may mean more than using the security measures that are built in the system. You may also need to provide another layer or two of security to flank that system, such as additional security appliances or firewalls that understand all packet types and realize that the calls that come in from outside may take different routes into the premise. Efficiently securing communications really is a matter of measuring risk and providing the correct solutions to address that risk.
Learn more about how to secure communications:
- The UC network threats facing enterprises today: SecureLogix CTO Mark Collier discusses the findings of the company's 2014 Voice and UC State of Security report.
- Securing VoIP networks to prevent toll fraud: Learn what security measures vendors are adding to their services to prevent malicious attacks.
- Could WebRTC pose security threats? Learn how enabling WebRTC applications could expose UC networks to new security threats.
- Three use cases for Wireshark forensics: Learn the different ways you can use Wireshark to add additional security to your UC network.
- Telephony denial of service attacks on the rise: Learn how TDoS attacks can affect your UC network and what you should do when your enterprise is under attack.
- Anatomy of common UC network attacks: In this book chapter download, learn the details of how hackers gain access to UC systems and expose their vulnerabilities.
Dig Deeper on Unified Communications Security
Related Q&A from Carrie Higbie Goetz
Proper SBC configuration requires partnering with providers and security teams to examine circuits and potential traffic. Learn the best practices ... Continue Reading
Organizations need SIP services to connect and disconnect call sessions. Now some SIP services are offered through APIs, which expand the use cases ... Continue Reading
A few factors can indicate it's time to replace a business phone system. Learn when it may be time to switch and how to decide on a course of action. Continue Reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.