As audio and video conferencing move rapidly into the mainstream, customers and end users are demanding unprecedented performance, reliability, scalability, and security. In Voice and Video Conferencing Fundamentals, three leading experts systematically introduce the principles, technologies, and protocols underlying today's state-of-the-art conferencing systems. Discover how to use these concepts and techniques to deliver unified, presence-enabled services that integrate voice, video, telephony, networks, and the Internet -- and enable breakthrough business collaboration.
The authors begin with a clear, concise overview of current voice and video conferencing, including system components, operational modes, endpoints, features, and user interactivity. Next, they illuminate conferencing architectures, offering practical insights for designing today's complex IP-based conferencing and collaboration systems.
Topics covered in this book include video codecs, media control, SIP and H.323 protocols and applications, lip synchronization in video conferencing, security, and much more. Throughout the book, the authors draw on their extensive experience as Cisco® technical leaders, showing how to avoid the most common pitfalls that arise in planning, deployment, and administration.
Voice and Video Conferencing Fundamentals is for every professional involved with audio or video conferencing: network and system administrators, engineers, technology managers, and Cisco solution partners alike. Whether you're involved with design, development, selection, implementation, management, or support, you'll find the in-depth knowledge you need to succeed.
- Thoroughly understand the fundamentals of audio and video conferencing over IP networks
- Architect networks for optimal performance and reliability in conferencing applications
- Leverage new advances in video architecture, from emerging codecs to distributed implementations
- Understand how SIP and H.323 compare, and when to use each
- Optimize synchronization between audio and video
- Secure conferencing traffic without compromising performance or connectivity
- Learn how to evaluate vendors and make better buying decisions
Read the entire chapter of Voice and Video Conferencing Fundamentals.
Reproduced from the book VoIP: An In-Depth Analysis. Copyright 2006, Cisco Systems, Inc.. Reproduced by permission of Pearson Education, Inc., 800 East 96th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46240. Written permission from Pearson Education, Inc. is required for all other uses.